Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Scripture of the Week

"He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:8

Want to know the verse I am hating right now? OK, maybe hating is the wrong word. Struggling with, right now? Micah 6:8. Oh, it may sound innocent enough. It's even a little poetic. But have you considered it? Even tried to apply it to your life? To act justly: ok, to be fair. Not too hard. To love mercy: I have to confess, I think I like justice a little more. Be fair, don't most people? We like to see the bad guy get what's coming to him. Until we realize that we are the bad guy, then it get's a little easier to be grateful for mercy, doesn't it.

The part I have really been working through, though, is the last one. Walk humbly. Yeah, that one is misleadingly easy sounding. Put my own pride, desires, ambitions, and goals away, and walk humbly with my God. Understand that it is not by my power, my competence, or my gifts that anything of value is accomplished, but by the gifts of God, through the yielding of my own will that the Spirit is allowed to work through me. That one packs a punch, I tell you. Do you think we will ever get that one mastered?

Scripture of the Week is a regular feature of A Faith Perspective. This week, AFP was thrilled to move to its new, and last, home on the Scrapbook News and Review mainsite. If you have not seen our new digs, we invite you to drop by and visit!

No comments: